Core modules [Please see the pdf file below]
- Petroleum Geology and Petroleum Systems
- Overview of the Oil and Gas Exploration Processes
- Sedimentology and Sequence Stratigraphy of clastic and carbonate sediments
- Organic Geochemistry
- Non – Seismic Methods in Hydrocarbon exploration
- Seismic Methods in Hydrocarbon exploration (Processing and Interpretation)
- Geostatistics – Oil and Gas Reserves estimation methods
- Well Logging
- Performance assessment and management
- Drilling Engineering
- Reservoir Engineering and reservoir fluids / sampling and analysis
- Flow in porous media
- Production Engineering and Well performance
- Hydrocarbons Market and Valuation
- Health, Safety and Risk Management
- Forecasting the Hydrocarbon markets
- Oil & Gas Software Training
The MSc lecture classes and labs are located on the School of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. To meet the Educational and Research needs of the MSc “Hydrocarbon Exploration and Exploitation” two well equipped Laboratories are established:
a fully equipped computer Lab for the advanced training of our students in the key Oil & Gas Industry Technical Disciplines: Geology, Geophysics, Petrophysics, Drilling Engineering, Reservoir Engineering, Production Engineering, Management and Economics. This lab is dedicated to our Master students and has a number of specific software packages installed:
1. Since 2015 our MSc Students have access to the same exploration and production modeling software used by the Oil and Gas industry, thanks to an invaluable >12,000,000 USD software donation from Schlumberger, the world’s leading oilfield Service Company. This donation to the MSc Hydrocarbon Exploration and Exploitation Program includes 7 licenses of the following industry-leading Schlumberger’s software tools [Petrel, Techlog, GeoX, PetroMod, ECLIPSE, Merak, Petrel GPM Carbonate Simulator and Petrel GPM Clastic Simulator].
2. PETEX [Petroleum Experts – Edinburgh – Scotland], fully committed to supporting the development of students in Geology and Petroleum Engineering, offered 10 educational/academic licences of the Integrated Production Modelling Software (IPM) suite (consisting of 6 products: GAP, PROSPER, MBAL, PVTP, REVEAL and RESOLVE). Adding such a value to the expertise offered to our students is definitely of great importance to our MSc programme. [Equivalent of the donation: 2,585,000 £].
3. CMG software, the market-leading reservoir simulation software, which is recognized worldwide as the industry standard for advanced recovery processes.
a Drilling Fluids Testing Lab, with “Fann Instrument Company’s” Laboratory and Field equipment to conduct testing, not only after applying a static but also after applying a dynamic thermal aging procedure to characterize the rheological and filtration properties of a water – bentonite drilling mud under the dynamic thermal aging procedure, simulating the extreme temperature and pressure conditions downhole.
Drilling Mud Laboratory
- Fieldwork in Onshore and Offshore facilities, North Aegean Sea, Greece,
- “Revithoussa” LNG Terminal and Company visit to the “Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator S.A.” (Liquefaction and Storage of Natural Gas Facilities),
- Fieldwork in the Gulf of Patras for gas seepages and use of the side scan and bottom scan for seabed and near seabed imaging,
- Fieldwork in Western Greece (source and reservoir rocks, tectonics, hydrocarbons migration and trapping mechanisms),
- Visit to two entry points of Natural Gas in Greece, ‘Sidirokastro’ and ‘Kipoi’, operated by the Public Gas Corporation Company of Greece (DEPA S.A.).
Visit in Offshore Production Facilities in North Aegean Sea
Every year an effort is made to place most of our students for summer internships in Oil and Gas Companies.
Master Dissertation writing
Takes place between April and July of the fourth semester. If further extension is required, a written request to the Supervisor must be submitted. A guide gives instructions for successful completion of this final thesis.