Core modules [Please see the pdf file below]
- Petroleum Geology and Petroleum Systems
- Overview of the Oil and Gas Exploration Processes
- Sedimentology and Sequence Stratigraphy of clastic and carbonate sediments
- Organic Geochemistry
- Non – Seismic Methods in Hydrocarbon exploration
- Seismic Methods in Hydrocarbon exploration (Processing and Interpretation)
- Geostatistics – Oil and Gas Reserves estimation methods
- Well Logging
- Performance assessment and management
- Drilling Engineering
- Reservoir Engineering and reservoir fluids / sampling and analysis
- Flow in porous media
- Production Engineering and Well performance
- Hydrocarbons Market and Valuation
- Health, Safety and Risk Management
- Forecasting the Hydrocarbon markets
- Oil & Gas Software Training
The MSc lecture classes and labs are located on the School of Geology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. To meet the Educational and Research needs of the MSc “Hydrocarbon Exploration and Exploitation” three well equipped Laboratories are established:
a fully equipped computer Lab for the advanced training of our students in the key Oil & Gas Industry Technical Disciplines: Geology, Geophysics, Petrophysics, Drilling Engineering, Reservoir Engineering, Production Engineering, Management and Economics, using Schlumberger’s software tools including Petrel, Techlog, GeoX, PetroMod, ECLIPSE, Merak, Petrel GPM Carbonate Simulator and Petrel GPM Clastic Simulator,
a computer Lab using CMG software,
a Drilling Fluids Testing Lab, with Fann Instrument Company’s Laboratory and Field equipment to conduct testing.
Drilling Mud Laboratory
- Fieldwork in Onshore and Offshore facilities, North Aegean Sea, Greece,
- “Revithoussa” LNG Terminal and Company visit to the “Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator S.A.” (Liquefaction and Storage of Natural Gas Facilities),
- Fieldwork in the Gulf of Patras for gas seepages and use of the side scan and bottom scan for seabed and near seabed imaging,
- Fieldwork in Western Greece (source and reservoir rocks, tectonics, hydrocarbons migration and trapping mechanisms),
- Visit to two entry points of Natural Gas in Greece, ‘Sidirokastro’ and ‘Kipoi’, operated by the Public Gas Corporation Company of Greece (DEPA S.A.).
Visit in Offshore Production Facilities in North Aegean Sea
Every year an effort is made to place most of our students for summer internships in oil and gas companies.
Master Dissertation writing
Takes place between April and July of the fourth semester. If further extension is required, a written request to the Supervisor must be submitted. A guide gives instructions for successful completion of this final thesis.